The Labo Internship
ProgramThe Labo Intern program offers young adults the opportunity to live and work in Japan for ONE YEAR!
- Application due late August each year
- New Zealand Interns fly to Japan in late Jan/early February and return home the following January
- Applicants must be 18 years or older at the time of application (31st August), and may not be over 25 years.
- They should have a strong interest in Japan, working with children and to live with host families for one year.
- Prior knowledge of Japanese language is not required, but applicants must be willing to work hard to master Japanese during their year.
- Previous participation on the Labo Homestay in Japan Program is highly encouraged.
Two months is spent at Labo’s Nihongo Institute in Tokyo This time is also part of the orientation and job training. The remaining Ten months are spent working in Labo offices throughout Japan. Responsibilities vary from district to district, and person to person. But all include:
- Visiting Labo Parties at least twice per week — working with young Labo members, making presentations about life overseas, and encouraging their use of English.
- Meeting with Labo Tutors and parents to discuss youth culture in New Zealand.
- Attending College Mate (university students) meetings.
- Working at Labo’s summer and winter camps.
- Taking a leadership role during Labo’s winter and summer exchange programs.
- Assisting with English-language office work
- Labo provides round-trip airfare to Japan.
- Interns receive an allowance of 90,000 yen (net) per month. Labo pays the Japanese taxes, but Interns are responsible for any taxes in their home country.
- Labo provides host families for Interns, and hotel stays when travelling. Meals are taken with the host families, except for lunch, which is the responsibility of the Intern.
- All transportation costs in Japan are covered by Labo except for private travel.
- Interns are provided with medical insurance coverage.
For more details please see the link at
For application forms and more details please email Lets Homestay via our contact page.